Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Best Christmas Ever!

Photobucket
Christmas Eve at my house, I can't believe I wrapped all of those presents.

Happy Holidays! As many of you know, I received the best gift ever this year from my fantastic boyfriend...a KitchenAid stand mixer! (girly scream)

Photobucket
I love that it's red. I love that it's mine. Sayonara, hand mixer!

Lately I've been so focused on baking, that I've been neglecting knitting big time, as well as neglecting my vintage item hunting, but I don't even care. When trying to decide between photographing my new vintage pieces for the shop and baking a new dessert - baking wins, every time.

I christened my new mixer yesterday with Russian Tea Cakes. They were such a hit, that I figured I'd share the recipe on here. This was a recipe that I got from my grandma's 1977 version of the "Betty Crocker Cooky Book". (If you don't own this, buy it immediately).
Photobucket
This is what it looks like.

Anyway, here is the recipe. Let me know how it works out for you!

Russian Tea Cakes

Photobucket
a peek at mine, after I boxed them up for work!

Ingredients:

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar

Directions:

Heat oven to 400ºF.

* Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.

* Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

* Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool slightly on wire rack.

* Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again.



My suggestions:

I used finely chopped walnuts this time. But another fun thing to do would be to use almond extract instead of vanilla and use finely chopped almonds. Macadamia nuts are also fun! Use your own preference to be creative and let me know how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment